Your file is finally done and now the only thing left to do is the summary page? You have multiple possibilities: you could write it manually but that would be wasting time, or you could use an automatic summary that you can create in just a few clicks.
Microsoft Word is the word processing application of the Office 365 suite that can create an automatic summary in just a few clicks.
In this article, we are going to teach you how to create an automatic summary in Word.
Step 1: Add a style to your titles and subtitles
To be able to create an automatic summary, you must add a style to the titles and subtitles of your documents. Thanks to styles, we can define its order in the file.
- Select the main title
- Go to the “Home” tab then select “Heading 1”
The secondary title should be in “Heading 2”, and so on.
If you do not like the style of the title, you can change it to apply your own.
- Select the title concerned
- Go to the “Home” tab
- Select your desired styling in the “A”
Step 2: Create your automatic summary
- Position your cursor on the page you wish to have your summary on
- Go to the “References” tab
- Click on the “Table of Contents” button
- Choose the model of summary you like best among those proposed
- Select it and the table of contents will appear automatically
You can now go instantly in any part of your document by clicking on its title while pressing the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard
Step 3: Modify the design of the summary
- Go to the “References” tab, then click the button “Table of Contents” and finally click on “Custom Table of Contents…”
- You can apply changes on the format, the alignment, etc…
Step 4: Update your summary
- Click on your summary then activate “Update Table…”
- Select “Update page number only” if you modified the number of pages or “Update entire table” if you added, removed, or modified the titles or changed their order.
Step 5: Delete the table of contents
It’s quite easy to delete a table of contents!
- Click on your summary then click on the button left to the “Update Table…” button
- Click on “Remove Table of Contents”
You wish to learn more about the word processing application Microsoft Word?
📞 Contact us:
📧 By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To stay up to date with our latest news, follow us on LinkedIn!